The holiday season is upon us once again. Here is a neat and tidy gift guide for all of the travelers in your life (hint hint). Here it is – TheConstantRambler Travel Holiday Gift Guide 2013! This list is made up of travel products that we’ve either used or are dying to have. We’ve also included links to where you can buy these items for the travel lover in your life. Most of our list contain some coupons and deals to save our readers a bit of extra holiday cash. :)
Travel Holiday Gift Guide
Here are five basic items that we feel every traveler should have with them. These are the basic items that keep us going and we use day to day while we are on the road.
1. Luggage – Every traveler needs some kind of luggage, whether you are going out of town for a night or a year, you need to take a certain amount of stuff with you. We’ve always used Samsonitte luggage and have had great success. Here’s a great deal they are running for the holidays. 15% OFF SELECT PRODUCTS + FREE STANDARD SHIPPING OVER $99. Online only. Ends 12/16. Code: WINTER15.
2. RFID Blocking Bags – We have heard some horror stories over time of friends traveling and getting their identity or credit card information stolen. These cool bags and wallets block your information from being stolen or deactivated. Magellan’s has a great set of bags designed to protect you from this very thing while also looking stylish. Check out my fave bag here: Metro Safe Shoulder Bag
3. Flasks – Every traveler needs a flask. It’s pretty self explanatory what they need it for :) Traveling can be very expensive and cutting corners (like bringing your own booze) can help ease the financial pain. This fun flask is leather wrapped and can be personalized with a monogram as well. Personalized Leather Flask – with Free Shipping over $49
4. First Aid Kit – Even your non-clumsy (definitely not us) travelers sometimes get hurt. Everyone gets a headache or cut from time to time. Be prepared with a handy and easy to carry first aid kit. This one is cheap and comes with all the basics: World Market First Aid Kit
5. Travel Coffee Mug – Everyone knows that Kenin and I are avid coffee drinkers. We can’t pull our 10-14 hour drives without some juice. These are perfect for getting your fix while on the go and are super stylish. Check out this great mug from Starbucks: Travel Coffee Thermos Plus Free Shipping with any $60+ purchase now through 12/31/13. No promo code necessary.
Tech and Camera Gear
Every traveler needs to stay connected while they are on the road and roaming across the earth. We also try to capture those moments so we can share them with our friends and family across the world and back home. Here is some of our favorite gear to accomplish those things.
1. Nikon AW110 – This is the ideal travel point and shoot camera. Why? Its waterproof, freeze-proof, shock proof, and it takes great pictures. Need to know more? Check out our Travel Camera Review. You can usually find the best deal on this camera on Cameta Cameras because they build bundles with lots of accessories here: Cameta Nikon AW-110 Bundles
2. Sony NEX-5T – Kenin and I picked up this camera’s younger sibling (the NEX5R) right before we took off to India. Because it’s an SLR style camera but mirror-less (MILC) it’s super light, and Sony is one of the few manufacturers that use a full sized sensor for great detail. It’s best to buy these cameras in a bundle with more than one lens and all the accessories. We found the best deal on ours with Cameta Cameras, they have some great bundles here: Sony NEX-5T Bundles
3. Go Pro Hero 3 – There are a lot of adventure travel activities that require keeping both hands occupied. How do you take great pictures or video when that’s the case? Simple! Use a GoPro. With lots of great accessories to connect to everything from cars to helmets to clothing, they’ll capture great video anywhere. You can find some awesome deals on the Go Pro on Amazon.com – GoPro HERO3: White Edition
4. Universal Travel Adapters – Once you find yourself traveling across international borders you’ll need a universal travel adapter. There are many all in one types that are small, but break very easily. Here’s a great kit that only $10 that has every country you’ll need. You can find it here on Amazon.com: Ceptics GP-5PK International Travel Worldwide Plug Adapter Set
5. Travel Speakers – No matter where they are most travelers will have a great set of headphones. Sometimes though, it’s nice to take your music with you and listen to it while in your room. There’s a great, and affordable speaker that does just that. I’ve had mine for over 2 years and it’s been great. It’s got a USB rechargeable battery, and pretty awesome sound quality. You can grab one on Amazon.com, they come in a ton of colors and styles: Boombotix Boombot1 Portable Weatherproof Speaker (Retro Orange)
New boots for hiking or raincoats, or even little things like winter gloves or water shoes are great gifts. Travelers end up in all kinds of climates and all sorts of weather. These gifts are thoughtful and will be put to good use. They can also range from luxury to the thrifty budgets.
1. Water Bottles – We travel with our reusable water bottles. Staying hydrated is very important and when traveling it can slip your mind easily. Instead of stopping and buying bottled water (expensive and bad for the environment) we take our reusable bottles with us and fill them up where ever we can. They are prefect for long car rides, hikes, air travel, and so much more. These bottles hold up well and are environmentally safe: Bluewave Bullet Sports Water Bottle – 1.0 Liter (34 oz)
2. Picnic Baskets – Picnic baskets can make a great present. Most people love a great romantic picnic and there are some great baskets out there. This one is super cute and stylish! It’s also a great place to keep your road trip snacks and meals when you are going out for the day. We use a lunch basket on the road almost every day. World Market Picnic Basket
3. Umbrella – I have never been a fan of traveling with an umbrella. Then we started road tripping and I realized I didn’t have to sit in the car all cold and wet. Freezing rain is no fun. A good sturdy umbrella can keep you stylin’ and dry. Lewis N. Clark Automatic Travel Umbrella,Black,One Size
4. Pen Knife – Many times when we are on the road we stop and buy something that has that unopenable packaging. A good pen knife can be a life saver when trying to open a snack to prevent the 3 o’clock crankies. – Hardware Pen Knife – with Free Shipping over $49
5. Female Urinary Director – Okay, so I admit that this might not be the most fun present to give or receive, but it sure is comical (and you know us, we are funny folks) and pretty necessary if you are a girl on long road trips. Guys have the convenience of just whipping it out and going no matter where or what they’re wearing. Girls are not so lucky. It takes a bit of being a contortionist/acrobat to pee in the wild.- Sani-Fem Freshette Feminine Urinary Director
Pet Travel Accessories
When you hit the road with Fido, there are lots of items that can make the experience easier. Here are some that we have used pretty much every day when we get in the car, and hit hotels.
1. Harnesses – We are huge supporters of keeping your pet safe in the car. Zoe gets buckled in every time we travel. If you keep your kids safe in the car then you should keep your pets safe as well. – Bergan Dog Auto Harness with Tether, Medium – You can also take a look at our Bergan Harness Review to see why it’s the best choice.
2. Pet Beds – Make your doggie feel extra special this holiday season with their very own bed (also works to get your own bed to yourself again :) ). These great pet beds will make your doggies have the sweetest of dreams. Zoe actually has one in the back of the car to keep her comfortable while she is buckled in for the long rides, and it helps keep her comfy and stress free in hotel rooms. – Pet Bed Plus save 10% off your purchase on jcp.com! Use code FABSAV10 at checkout.
3. Thundershirt – The Thundershirt is a great product for pet anxiety. Zoe is a well seasoned traveler so she doesn’t get anxious in the car, however she loves her Thundershirt any time there is a storm and there is thunder or other loud noises like fireworks. It keeps her out of the bathtub and definitely calms her nerves. – Thundershirt Dog Anxiety Treatment, Large, Solid Grey
4. H2O K9 Water Bottles – Keeping ourselves hydrated is very important while traveling. Keep our pets hydrated is equally important. This dog water bottle is easy to carry, easy to use and super easy to clean up. – H2O4K9, Dog Water Bottle and Travel Bowl – Take a look at our H2O4K9 Review.
5. Pet Head Grooming Products – Have your pets smelling nice while on the road. It doesn’t beat the new car smell, but it certainly beats the wet dog smell :) – PET HEAD Poof! Magical Deodorizing Spray – Take a look at out Pet Head Review for more info.
You can give the gift of travel to any traveler by purchasing them gift or travel vouchers. Certificates for gas, hotels, cruises, or just plain ole air miles are always handy. Many airlines and hotel chains offer gift certificates available for purchase and are a great way to help your loved one to keep traveling.
1. House Sitting – One of the ways that Kenin and I are able to travel full-time is housesitting. People go on vacation and we take care of their homes and sometimes their pets while they are away. A housesitting membership is a great way to keep your travels traveling on the cheap. – Sign up now with HouseCarers.com for less than a one nights hotel stay. See more info in our House Carers Review.
2. Bed & Breakfast – Who doesn’t love a romantic B&B getaway. Surprise someone you love with a B&B certificate today. Good at so many B&B’s all over the place. – Give the Gift of Relaxation with BedandBreakfast.com Getaway Gift Cards
3. CheapOAir – The gift of airfare is always appreciated. This is an easy way to purchase airfare without buying for an actual flight. Bon voyage! – Gift Cards from CheapOAtr.com!
4. Restaurant.com Gift Cards – Everyone has to eat and your meals taste so much better when they are free. :) Get someone you know a restaurant.com giftcard to make sure they are well-fed while on the move. There are so many restaurants to choose from. – Save over 50% with Restaurant.com
5. Travel Map – This is something I really want, so you know, hint hint! This map is the perfect gift for your well-seasoned traveler to have a fun way of keeping track of the places they have visited. Luckies of London Travel Scratch Off Map
Looking for More Inspiration? Take a Look at our NEW and Updated 2014 Holiday Gift Guide for Travel and Pet Lovers!
We’d be honored if you would subscribe to our newsletter or connect with us via social media on Facebook,twitter, +Lauren, tumblr , Pinterest, and YouTube!